Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gallery 339

The After Prom exhibit was very interesting, the whole Prom experience is rarely captured on film and it is really cool that Martine Fougeron was able to get this inside look on what actually happens at Prom parties.  I was not sure what to expect when going to the gallery, but what immediately struck me was the simplicity of the layout.  White walls and picture frames, it is simple yet effective enough to capture your attention.  The film upstairs was very cool, it gave some background and meaning to the pictures for me.  Before I watched the film in the upstairs of the gallery, I was not sure who these kids were and if they were just set up for an almost fake prom party, but the movie gave some life to the pictures for me.  After I realized that the photographer was taking pictures of her son's prom party the exhibit kind of blew me away in that I couldn't believe these high school students would want to have their party documented.  The exhibit had some themes of reckless sort of carefree teenage behavior that is expected at prom parties.

The photo I liked the most was Adrien's Red Drizzle.  The picture has a cool contrast of colors with the red of the umbrella and the grass and trees.  This picture also captures the day after a long night of drinking when you wake up at someone else's house and the only cure is your own bed.  His face in this picture sums up the feeling of a long night.

1 comment:

  1. Huge fan of gallery 339; actually just commented another blogger who had photos up from the gallery. Do you frequent alot of galleries in the Philadelphia area? If so, I'd love to meet up for a Frappuccino to discuss various local artists/photography/Banksy/love/life. Respond to my blog! I'd love to hear from you David! ;-) Btw my name is Theodore but you can call me Ted: 20/m/pa.

    ReplyDelete